I first want to address the tragedy that occurred yesterday. From my time at the secondary level, I know that we all do a great job of reiterating to students that we are there for them. At the elementary level, you work so hard with your students to let them know they are loved. It is so disheartening to see these actions happen in schools around the country.
Now, to change the very difficult subject…
The question I believe a lot of people are asking is “Why is Jay DeFuria different?”
Let me summarize:
- I’m young, energetic, and willing to put in the work to make it easier for you to do your job. It’s time for a pair of fresh eyes to address the issues that we have been experiencing in our roles for years.
- I’m collaborative, and happy to converse and hear your viewpoint. You will not be shut down or dismissed; I really want to hear what you have to say. I will also not talk down to you or otherwise treat you anything less than a professional.
- I’m invested in finding solutions for our discipline problems. The lack of accountability impacts ALL unit members, from our teachers, nurses, and administrative professionals with more direct interaction; to our custodial and support staff who often have to deal with the aftermath of poor decisions made by students.
- I’m willing to take action. Too often, I’ve heard the term “vote of no confidence” dismissed at our union representative meetings. If we start holding administration accountable, they will start holding students accountable.
- My spouse does not work in the district, so I do not have concerns that she will be impacted by my decisions. Also, I don’t feel hindered in speaking up for members due to fear of personal retaliation.
Some may say that I am running for the wrong reasons. I’d like to consider myself the breath of fresh air to clean out the stale, failed promises.
I’m hopeful there are others in the district who want to see the return of being treated as professionals, and solutions to the problems facing our disciplines. Please encourage like-minded people to vote for my platform on May 27th.
Please, if you have any questions whatsoever, I urge you to contact me via email (email@example.com), or via text at (856) 427-5394. I promise, this open communication is how I intend to run my office, collaborate with you and offer ways for you to conveniently get in touch.
If you missed the direct link to my one-pager, click here.
I’ve already heard from some amazing people throughout the district. Would you be interested in staying connected? I’m working on setting up an unmoderated Facebook group, shoot me a message for the link.
Voting will take place on Friday, May 27th.
P.S. Same as Yesterday: You will receive emails from me this week, but this email service will be shut down after the election on Friday, May 27, 2022. If you’d rather unsubscribe, there’s a link below.